UPDATE: Save the Date for Saturday, November 21, 2020 for next mini-retreat
Updated Registration info coming soon.
Meditation or Yoga Mini-Retreat Online with Rev. Carl & Carrie Dennison
- Saturday, October 17, 2020 (9:00 a.m. - Noon)
- Cost: $20 through our October Registration link (split between the instructors & UUCF; sliding scale available upon request)
(Zoom links will be sent no later than 24 hours in advance to all registered participants.)
- 8:45 a.m. Registration (set-up mat/cushions/chairs)
- 9:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. Opening Circle, including Dharma Talk (30 minutes) in Carl's Zoom Room
- 9:30 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. 45-minute Practice Period
- Yoga track (Carrie's Zoom Room)
- Meditation track: learning a meditation technique & practicing together (Carl's Zoom Room)
- 10:15 a.m. - 10:45 a.m. Moving Meditation (30 minutes)
- Maintain silence,
- Practice moving meditation at your own pace either inside or outside.
- Be back in either Carrie's Zoom Room (for yoga) or Carl's Zoom Room (for meditation) no later than 10:45am
- 10:45 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. 45-minute Practice Period
- Yoga track (Carrie's Zoom Room)
- Meditation track: Silent Meditation (Carl's Zoom Room)
- 11:30 a.m. - Noon Closing Circle (30 minutes) in Carl's Zoom Room
You can choose one track the first time and a different one the second time.
Both the meditation & yoga portions can be modified for all bodies, done from a chair, etc.
What You Will Need
- Dress comfortably
- Yoga Mat (unless choosing "meditation-only" option)
- Meditation Cushion/Seat/Bench - please do not plan to sit crossed legged directly on the floor unless you have extremely flexible hips! Instead, please bring a cushion/pillow that will at least elevate your hips above your knees--to set yourself up to be as comfortable as possible while sitting, so that you can be "relaxed, but alert."
- Alternatively, If you would prefer to meditation sitting in a chair, you may want to bring a small pillow for support of your lower back.
- If you are interested in purchasing a cushion, seat, or bench, one good option is The Monastery Store.)
- Optional: water bottle,
- Optional: light snack (can be eaten at beginning of moving meditation time),
- Optional: light blanket (if you might be cold from the air conditioning during the meditation time)
The Rev. Dr. Carl Gregg has been the minister at Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Frederick (Maryland) since 2012. He holds a Doctor of Ministry and a Diploma in the Art of Spiritual Direction from San Francisco Theological Seminary, a Master of Divinity from Brite Divinity School, and a Bachelor of Arts in Religion and Philosophy (cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) from Furman University. Carl is part of the meditation teacher training program through Buddhist Geeks.
Carrie Dennison will be filling in for Irene for the yoga portions at the April Retreat, as she has done on some previous retreats. Carrie has completed a 200-hour Registered Yoga Teacher training program, and is a wonderful instructor. For more info on Carrie, visit her website at selfcarewithcarrie.com.
Irene Glasse found her way into yoga in 2010 while she was in the middle of an emotional and spiritual tailspin. She fell in love with the grounding, healing, strengthening practice and quickly became a ‘resident’ student at the Ananda Shala studio in downtown Frederick. The more Irene learned, the more she wanted to learn, which lead to a path of teaching. She completed the Prana Flow® 200 hr teacher training with Maria Garre at Ananda Shala in June of 2013. Irene became a NASM Certified Personal Trainer in December of 2014. Irene teaches classes at that are accessible to all levels and bodies--and always delivers with a touch of humor.